Paleo Sweet Potato Skins
Makes 8 skins
Time: 2 hours total – Bake Time: 1 hour – Rest Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes (about 2” in diameter)
- 6 Slices of Bacon
- ¼ cup Chopped Green Onion
- ¼ cup Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (optional)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt (Sea Salt, Pink Salt)
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Take a wet cloth and thoroughly wipe down the outside of the potatoes. You’re going to eat the skin, so you want it clean and whisker-free
- Rub the now clean sweet potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil. Make sure you cover the entire surface.
- Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely (or until cold enough to handle)
- Once cooled, turn the oven back onto 400 F
- Cut each potato in half long ways
- Using a fork to loosen the sweet potato meat, start scraping out the innards
- You need to be sure you leave between ¼ and ½” of sweet potato on the skin
- Rub the inside and outside of the skins with more olive oil and sprinkle every side with a generous amount of salt
- Place face down on the baking sheet and bake at 400 F for another 8 minutes.
- Flip over face-up and bake for 4 minutes.
- Use a spatula and let them cool slightly before you move from the baking sheet to a plate.
- Chop the bacon into small ½“ pieces and sauté until crispy.
- After cooking, place on a paper towel to drain off the grease.
- Sprinkle an even amount of bacon in each skin, top with the green onion, and finish with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Check out the Nutrition Kitchen at the NZ Fitness & Health Expo (28-29 October – ASB Showgrounds, Auckland) for more great recipes, live cooking demos and Ashy Bines presenting her ‘Kittens in the Kitchen’ with gal pal Gretty Rose LIVE! Tickets on sale now at www.nzfitnessexpo.co.nz