Paleo Carrot Pancakes
- 1/2 cup mashed carrots (Steam then purée in the food processor).
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1 vanilla pod seeds scraped OR 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 Tsp baking soda
- Coconut oil/grass-fed butter/ghee for greasing the pan
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes.Chopped hazelnuts for garnish (optional)
- Chopped hazelnuts for garnish (optional)
- Raw honey or maple syrup to sweeten (optional)
- Other topping options: grass-fed butter, nut butter, fruit, shredded coconut
- In a food processor add in your mashed carrots, eggs, vanilla seeds/vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, Himalayan pink salt, coconut flour and baking soda. Process until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Using a spatula, scrape into a mixing bowl.
- Heat a pan on medium and add in some coconut oil or grass-fed butter/ghee.
- Once heated using a 1/4 cup measure, pour dollops of pancake mix into the pan. Do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan and leave room to flip the pancakes.
- Cook both sides until done. A couple of minutes on each side should do it.
- Stack them up on a plate as you go. Once finished add some of your homemade coconut butter on top and sprinkle on some chopped hazelnuts OR add a topping of your choice.
Take the unsweetened coconut flakes and dump them into your food processor OR high-powered blender. The only thing you need to do now is to process/blend the coconut flakes until you reach a smooth buttery consistency. Make sure to stop whatever machine you’re using and scrape down the sides every now and then. Pour into a mason jar or other glass container and keep at room temperature.
Check out the Nutrition Kitchen at the NZ Fitness & Health Expo (28-29 October – ASB Showgrounds, Auckland) for more great recipes, live cooking demos and Ashy Bines presenting her ‘Kittens in the Kitchen’ with gal pal Gretty Rose LIVE! Tickets on sale now at www.nzfitnessexpo.co.nz